Thursday, July 18, 2013

Dining Room Complete!

One room is finally 100% complete!  Remember this old gem?


Let's just say the chandelier in the dining room has been my nemesis.  Rory and I have gone back and forth a lot about what our decorating style is (yes, he actually cares...maybe).  "We" have decided that we like the rustic, shabby chic country look.  Well, the original chandelier was brass with huge hurricanes = not our style.
I am always looking for a project and refused to spend money on a new chandelier.  I used my handy dandy Annie Sloan paint to create a white chandelier.  I ripped out the prongs and hid the brass chain with burlap, which drives Rory crazy but I really didn't want to paint the chain and I wanted it covered.  At Walmart, I purchased new lights since the old ones were quite long and pointy and I also found some cheap white shades.  It drove me crazy that the chandelier, rods, and shades were all three different shades of white so I spray painted the rods brown to give some contrast but I didn't like that either.  After a few weeks of staring at an 80% finished chandelier, I decided to wrap each rod with twine to give a rustic look and to compliment the wall color.  Sometime in the future, I do want to buy or make a cushion for the window seat but I settled for pillows for now. I threw together a "guest basket" so when we have people over, we can quickly grab place mats, cloth napkins, trivets, the gurgling cod, etc. Oh, and the walls are a mocha, tan color...not baby poo gold like some of the lighting makes it seem...




No comments:

Post a Comment