Friday, December 13, 2013

Easy Creamy Chicken Orzo

Tonight, I planned on making chicken & orzo tossed with lemon juice, olive oil, and parmesan cheese.  This is always a simple, easy, go-to, especially in the summer (so good with shrimp, too!).  Considering the fact that it is abnormally cold outside, Rory and I both wanted to make this dish more of a winter comfort food.  I knew I wanted to add a can of fire roasted tomatoes because they add really good flavor to any Italian dish!  Rory wanted it as creamy as possible so he suggested throwing in some cream cheese (I was skeptical).  To our surprise, we ended up with a new winter comfort food that was super easy to make.

Ingredients:
1 can of fire roasted tomatoes
1/2 box of orzo
2-3 chicken breast
1/3 block of reduced fat cream cheese
white balsamic vinegar (optional)
2 tbsp olive oil
salt, pepper, italian seasoning
garlic (minced or powder)


Making a fast, easy meal is essential on most weeknights.  The biggest trick is time management when you're dealing with different food items in various pots/pans.  Before I begin prepping the food, I put water in the pot and start boiling it for the pasta.  It always takes forever to bring to a boil!

1. Cube chicken into small, bite size pieces.  In a bowl, combine the chicken with olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, about one tablespoon of italian seasoning, garlic, and a few dashes of salt & pepper. I have found, thanks to my mom, that the vinegar (although stinky) helps add moisture to the chicken! Mix everything together and then throw it onto a pan-medium high heat.

2. While chicken cooks, add the orzo to the boiling water and cook boil for 9-11 minutes.

3.  Since the chicken is in small pieces, it should cook rather quickly.  Sometimes, I find myself using a spoon or spatula to slice the chicken into tinier bites as it cooks to speed up the process.  After the chicken is cooked, add the can of fire roasted tomatoes to the pan and mix with the chicken.  Then scoop in the cream cheese and stir until blended.  I also added red pepper flakes because we love spice.

4. Mix the orzo in with the chicken mixture. I like to pretend I'm on a cooking show so I sometimes add a splash of the reserved cooking water.  Stir & serve!  Don't forget to add parmesan cheese or mozzarella to the bowl.






No comments:

Post a Comment